Monday, August 25, 2008

First day of school!

So today was a big day at our house. We started Kindergarten, 4th grade AND middle school! I have to admit I was a little nervous about how this morning would go. Kierstin won't go to bed at decent times at night and will sleep until noon. Waking up in the morning has never been a possible idea. Add to that her streak of perfectionism and mom had a nervous weekend. We met the teachers on Friday. Her teacher had some small activities for them to do. She was supposed to draw a self-portrait and write her name on the front. Her picture didn't turn out like she wanted and she forgot how to write her name over the summer (we forgot to practice). We left the school that day with her saying she didn't want to go to school because the teacher was going to be boring. Oh boy! Now what? I was worried that she would get stubborn and wouldn't get on the bus. What was my brillant plan? I pulled out the school lunch calendar and made the biggest possible deal out of what she was going to get to eat for breakfast (if she wanted to) and lunch. I was shocked to find that it worked! Here's how she turned out this morning.



As you can see, she still has sleepy eyes, but she's smiling! She even got on the bus this morning of her own free will! No cajoling or force required! Yea! I gave her the choice of 3 different shirts to wear today. She said that this one was her lucky shirt so it won. :)



Here's our new 4th grader, Brydin. He picked out the polo shirt to wear on his own. I didn't even have to make him! Yea! He pretended to be all upset that he was going to have to sit at the front of the bus with Kierstin all year long because those were the bus rules. Landin said that there weren't any rules like that. I told Landin to be quiet. If Brydin wants to say that there are rules that you have to sit with your baby sister then let him! :) It takes away from the uncoolness of sitting with a Kindergartener. :)

Of course, Landin started middle school today which is too big to take a picture for. I felt like he was packing up for college. No, mom wasn't getting sappy, the kid just had a backpack almost bigger than he was, a trumpet case, and a grocery sack with tissues for the teachers' class supplies. He literally looked like he was moving away. :) We'll have to see how this day went.

Whew! I'm going to go and enjoy some mommy only time. :)

No comments: